Eagan Badeeu, born in 1973 in Republic of Maldives. He is essentially self-taught and have had a great passion for drawing as far as he could remember. He developed his drawing and painting from an early age with encouragement at home by parents and later into the high school days.
His oil painting techniques were influenced and inspired by artists of impressionism and post impressionism. Through exploration of artists and experimentation his painting process evolved.
Over the years he gained experience and at his 30s he was well into a journey of a lifetime as a serious fineart painter. He often went on drawing tours to the outer islands, most frequently to Rasmadhoo and to Kulhudufushi, where he would spend weeks at a time studying the landscapes and seascapes. Later, he traveled to the southern atolls of Fuamulah and to Huvadu atoll.
His main theme and subject have been the Maldivian lifestyle, it’s vanishing traditions through a lenses of nostalgia and a deep connection to her nature.
He earned initial recognition in the year 2000 when his works were exhibited in Funoas at Esjehi Gallery in Male’.
Eagan’s most significant works included 18 triptychs commissioned by the National Art Gallery for a solo exhibition Theyokulain Dhivehi Raajje , in 2008. These oil paintings were composed from memory of his travels and childhood. Impressions of Maldives Islands past, as the title of the show translates, were painted in vivid oil colours and layers of impasto. Some of these triptychs now include in the permanent collection of the National Art Gallery of Maldives.
Other notable works include a selection of paintings commissioned by CONRAD Maldives, 2011 and Hilton Maldives , 2012.
In 2019, His solo exhibition “Lionfish and the Plastic bag” main feature was 11 large watercolor paintings. Exploring the various forces competing beneath the surface of the sea: lionfish symbolizing life, survival and positivity, and the plastic bag, an icon of our negative impact on earth and our slow march towards self-destruction.
- Funoas (the beginning of southwest monsoon) Art exhibition held at Esjehi Gallery, Male’ Maldives. 2000
- Maldives Contemporary Art Exhibition held at the National Art Gallery. Male’ Maldives.
- 12th Asian Art Biennale held in Dhaka Bangladesh. 2006.
- Franco Maldives Association Inaugural Art Exhibition held at Gadhoo Building, Male’ Maldives. 2007.
- Maldives Contemporary Art Exhibition held at the National Art Gallery. Male’ Maldives. 2008
- 13th Asian Art Biennale held in Dhaka Bangladesh. 2008.
- Theyo Kulain Dhivehi Raaje” First solo Exhibition held at National Art Gallery Male’ Maldives 2009.
- A group Exhibition at Waldorf Estoria Manafaru , Haa Alif Atoll, Maldives April 2010.
- Lionfish and the Plastic bag, Solo Exhibition held at National Art Gallery Male’ Maldives 2019